What type of diabetes occurs in children?
Children and teens with diabetes generally have type 1, previously known as juvenile diabetes or insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Overall, type 1 diabetes represents 10 per cent of all diabetes – the other 90 per cent is type 2 diabetes which prior to recent years, was seen primarily in adults over 40 years of age. However, as a result of obesity, there has now been an increase in the incidence of type 2 diabetes in children in Canada. The prevalence of obesity among Canadian children aged 5 to 17 years is 12%.
Type 1 diabetes
Type 1 diabetes is an auto-immune condition whereby the pancreas can no longer produce any or enough insulin. Therefore, the treatment of type 1 diabetes is the administration of insulin through daily injections or an insulin pump. The amount of insulin needed has to be balanced with the amount of food, exercise and overall health, including stress and emotional health.
The onset of symptoms in children is usually abrupt. The doctor may order a blood test in order to confirm or rule out a diagnosis.
Type 2 diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition where the pancreas does not make enough insulin, or the cells in the body don’t respond to the insulin. The most common cause of type 2 diabetes in children is extra weight as a result of unhealthy eating and lack of physical activity. It is generally treated with oral medications, but also can be treated with insulin.
Type 2 diabetes symptoms usually develop over time. The doctor may order a blood test in order to confirm or rule out a diagnosis.
Diabetes in Children
- Menopause and diabetesDid you know that a woman spends 30% of her life in menopause and that a third to a half of all women alive today in Canada are in menopause or peri-menopause?
- Can diabetes be prevented in children?Not that long ago, it was believed that children were only affected by type 1 diabetes. The reality, however, is that there are now many more children with type 2 diabetes as well.
- What To Do When Your Child with Type 1 Diabetes Is SickJust like other children, when your child with type 1 diabetes is sick it can be challenging: missing work or trying to secure a doctor’s appointment, but it also presents an increased level of care.
- Meal planning for children with type 1 diabetesMeal planning for children with type 1 diabetes can be a true practice in patience. With the varying degrees of literature and information out there, it can be challenging to understand the Do’s and Don’ts of proper nutrition.
- Type 2 diabetes in children and teensYears ago, type 2 diabetes was a disease that only happened in adulthood. However, In recent years, type 2 diabetes in children is being diagnosed more often.
- Telling friends about a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes (juvenile diabetes)When adults are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, it is their right to decide who to tell. It is usually recommended to tell people with whom you spend a lot of time, such as workplace colleagues.
- Back-to-school tips for people with diabetesThe back-to-school period brings lots of new beginnings. New beginnings are exciting but also bring challenges, especially for students with diabetes in the later years of high school.
- Managing type 1 diabetes at birthday partiesYes, we know the very thought of your child going off to a party at someone else's home may at first fill you with horror: away from your control, over-excited, distracted by all the fun, and surrounded by an abundance of enticing high sugar and high carb treats.
- Support for people with a new diagnosis of type 1 diabetes (juvenile diabetes)In the past few months, I have been working with a woman who was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetes and summer campSummer camp is part of the magic of childhood, bringing enchanting memories along with new friendships, greater confidence and new-found independence.