This is the perfect workday lunch. Make this ahead of time and eat it for several days. I love cooking once and reaping the benefits all week. Lately, life has been so busy that having a grab-n-go lunch is the best way to keep me on track and fuel my body properly for what’s to come. I love anything cauliflower, but add a little sweetness from almond flour and crunch from a hot fry-pan, mmmm… delicious! I made a simple side salad that keeps for a few days in the fridge. Putting it all together makes for a high protein and vegetable complete lunch or light dinner.
For the Cauliflower Fritters:
- 6 cups riced cauliflower, from a large cauliflower *
- 3 eggs, scrambled
- ⅔ cup almond flour
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup neutral oil (e.g. canola, grapeseed, avocado oil)
For the Chickpea Chopped Salad:
- 16 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 baby cucumbers, diced
- 1 cup cooked (canned) chickpeas, drained and rinsed and roughly chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- To Make the Cauliflower Fritters: Steam the cauliflower rice on the stovetop for 8 minutes or in the microwave for 5 minutes. Let cool. Place on a kitchen towel and ring the cauliflower out as much as possible (the drier the better). Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the cauliflower with the eggs, almond flour, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium heat and add the oil.
- Using your hands, scoop a handful of cauliflower batter (you will have enough for 8 patties) and gently place it into the hot pan and then press to form a thick patty. Repeat until you have filled the pan with about 5 patties. Cook for 1 minute, cover the pan (so the egg cooks) for 4-5 minutes, then uncover and let cook until the edges have browned, flip and repeat on the other side. Remove the fritters from the pan and place on a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To Make the Chickpea Chopped Salad: Mix all the salad ingredients together.
- Pack the fritters and the salad into lunch size containers.
Serves 4 for lunch
*Place the cauliflower florets (in batches) in the food processor and pulse until a rice-like consistence appears. Store bought is a very good option here.